Ford government announces comprehensive reform to conservation programs, Ontario Energy Board and end of Fair Hydro Plan
TORONTO – Ontario’s Government for the People is reforming the electricity system to reduce costs, drive efficiencies and lower electricity rates for medium and large employers.
“Our government is building an electricity system that works for the people, and that starts by cleaning up the mess we inherited,” said Rickford. “We are taking a comprehensive, pragmatic approach to building the modern, efficient, and transparent electricity system that the people of Ontario deserve.”
On March 21, Hon. Greg Rickford introduced the Fixing the Hydro Mess Act, 2019 and other regulatory initiatives which would, if passed:
- Find savings of up to $442 million by refocusing and uploading electricity conservation programs to the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
- Overhaul the Ontario Energy Board to make the regulatory system more efficient and accountable, while continuing to protect consumers
- Hold residential electricity bills to the rate of inflation
- Wind down the Fair Hydro Plan and as a result save billions of dollars in borrowing costs
- Introduce a new, transparent, on-bill rebate on consumer bills to replace the Fair Hydro Plan.
Read the News Release ford-government-taking-bold-action-to-fix-hydro-mess